Spring application deadline MARCH 2, 2015
The Athlete Enhancement Program (AEP) awards local emerging athletes with a high quality sport science program to maximize their athletic success. The program utilizes a group of sport science/health care professionals, a Performance Enhancement Team (PET), who work collaboratively to implement training and sport science education to enhance the athlete’s development and knowledge.
The AEP is offered to team sport and individual sport athletes who are emerging at the provincial or national level. The program will be targeted to sports that have a solid athlete development model in place and from a broad spectrum of sports.
New this year, there will be two AEPs:
- Fall AEP:
- September 8, 2014 to February 20, 2015
- Application Deadline: August 1, 2014 (fall applications only)
- Orientation Night: August 20, 2014 (mandatory)
- Spring AEP:
- April 2015 to August 15, 2015
- Application Deadline: March 2, 2015 (spring applications only)
- Orientation Night: March 23, 2015 (mandatory)
AEP Development Team
- Athlete’s selected to this group are considered at the train to train level
- Group Strength and Conditioning (2x per week)
- 4 Winning Edge mental skills sessions
- 1 Winning Edge sport nutrition session
- Scholarship valued at $1000
- Athletes are expected to attend 60% of the Winning Edge and training sessions
AEP Advanced Team
- Athlete’s selected to this group are training at a senior provincial, junior national and national level with potential to advance to a senior national level or higher
- Individual consultation and program design in the areas of Strength and Conditioning, Mental Performance, and Sport Nutrition provides the athlete with a program to maximize their potential and compliment services provided through their Provincial or National team
- Scholarship valued at $1000 – $1700
**Note: If accepted, a $120 deposit is required by successful applicants and will be returned upon fulfillment of commitment to the AEP. All accepted athletes are required to attend Athlete Orientation Night.
The program is designed to support emerging athletes (typically 13-18 years of age) who:
- Have performed well at the Provincial, National and/or International level in an Alberta Sport Connection recognized sport.
- Take ownership and initiative in their personal learning and growth with exceptional commitment and work ethic.
- Have a desire to continue to grow and develop further in their sport.
- Are seeking additional support to augment their growth and development through sport science programs
- Commit to attending the sessions as outlined above and on the application
- Complete the application, including letters of reference
- Submit by the application deadline
**Note: previous acceptance in the AEP does not guarantee future acceptance. As with many scholarships, this is a very competitive program with limited funding.
- Applications are reviewed by the selection committee
- Where applicable, an interview for further screening may be requested
- Selection is based on the detail of the application and letters of recommendation
- Returning athletes may also be evaluated on previous year’s commitment to the program
- All applicants will be notified by March 9, 2014 for Fall Program Acceptance.